Along with the mad dash to buy all the toilet paper stores can stock, some members have asked about the need to withdraw cash from the credit union.
The fact is, the need for cash withdrawals during this crisis has no basis in fact. Unlike overextended banks that caused the Great Recession, the current financial crisis was caused by the reaction to the Coronavirus outbreak, not a systemic banking problem.
There is a perception and rumors churning within social media that there could be an issue with the credit or debit systems, but there is no validity to that concern. Putting it under your pillow at home is not safe. It’s more prudent to take it as you need it.
During this time, please keep these things in mind when it comes to your money:
- Our credit union is federally insured by the National Credit Union Administration. All deposits are insured up to $250,000. This means that you will not lose a dime of money that is federally insured.
- The Federal government has declared credit unions an essential business. While we’ve had to adjust our standard operations, our credit union is ready and able to assist you with whatever needs you may have. It’s our priority to ensure you receive the level of service you’ve come to expect from our credit union; even in an ever-evolving capacity.
- You incur more risk if you withdraw your money. Cash is much harder to recover if at all in the event of loss, theft, or any other unfortunate circumstance. Keeping your money in the credit union to withdraw as needed is much safer than keeping in your home or carrying on your person.
- The Centers for Disease Control recommends that frequently handled items be cleaned as a precautionary way to help ward off the virus. Cash cannot be easily washed and has passed through many hands which makes it less than optimal to have in abundance on your person.
- If you pay your bills through automatic draft, you will have to find alternative ways to ensure your payments are satisfied.
- Lastly, you have access to your account and more 24/7 through the Secured Advantage’s online services. Our online services provide a convenient, easy and secure way to monitor your account, pay bills, make transfers and deposit checks. You can also access your account through the Secured Advantage mobile app. Download our app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
During this time of uncertainty, it’s natural to feel pressure to make quick decisions. We’re here to help you maintain a sense of peace regarding your money. It’s tough to know what is coming, but you can rest assured that we have your best interest in mind and will do anything we can to help you during this time. If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out. We wish good health and financial wellness for you and your loved ones as we navigate this together.